Mel's Oaxaca Service-Learning Blog

I am totally looking forward to this trip. I have never been on a plane and this will be my first time out of the state. Geez! Talk about being sheltered!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Journal Prompt 3
The last time I went to the missions was in Mr. Field history class. By the way, he is very good teacher to take for history. So it felt good to go back for a refresher on the history. I can't really say I like one mission more than the other because each one is unique in its' own way.
I just think it is amazing how this historic site are still up and attract visitor from all over. The fact that people lived there at one time and so much happened there is very interesting. I would like to go back in time and see what the area around it looked like. The crops they grew and the animals that were raised there. It must have looked so beautiful.
Every time I visit the missions I can't help but notice something new. The architecture especially. The doorways are low and the craftmanship is spectacular. Just think the natives built the missions with no technology what so ever. "They have great skills." (Napolean Dynamite)
It took a lot of hard work and man power to accomplish a fine establishment like the missions. It is hard to believe that the bricks and stones are still in place.
The missions gives San Antonio something to be proud of. This is our culture and we need to do the best to preserve the missions. That is why I enjoy being in this class, it has taught me to appreciate history more than I did before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home