Mel's Oaxaca Service-Learning Blog

I am totally looking forward to this trip. I have never been on a plane and this will be my first time out of the state. Geez! Talk about being sheltered!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006


Day 6, Tuesday...
Another field trip! YEA! We had class at the San Antonio Museum of Art today. It is located on 200 West Jones Ave and Broadway. Fortunately I have been there before but everytime I go, I notice something I didn't before. We all met at 4:00 in the front lobby area. Karen, Brandon and I were the first ones to arrive. I was happy that my dad came along with me. It had been years since one of my parents came to a field trip with me. Other students brought along a family member for the tour. Mary brought her daughter and Chamille's mom joined us. Gail's husband and my dad chatted and come to find out they know some of the same people. Small world!
Well when everyone finally got there, Karen issued out our International Student ID's. They came out really nice. It is official now! Thank you Leonard at SAC for taking our pictures at no cost and being so helpful.
After we finally got situated Karen gave us the gameplan and broke us down into groups. The class had to explore and specific area of the museum and chose a favorite piece in that section and talk about it in the end of the tour.

There are four sections we toured:
* Pre Colonnial
* Folk Art
* Colonial
* Modern Art
Mary and I were a team and we had the Colonnial Period to explore.

(this was my favorite piece)
My dad and her daughter helped us. Mary's daughter is very observant for her age. She did a good job at pointing some things out to me that I didn't catch.
Karen gave us some questions to also think about while we were walking around. How did the museum present things? I noticed color right away. The museum used colors that would bring out artifacts and paintings. Soft colors were used on wood and deep blues were used on some smaller objects or things with lots of detail.
Every time I visit the museum I notice something I didn't catch the last time. In the end of the tour and we all talked about our favorites, Karen told us the story about the Lady of Guadalupe. She is a great story teller!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home