Mel's Oaxaca Service-Learning Blog

I am totally looking forward to this trip. I have never been on a plane and this will be my first time out of the state. Geez! Talk about being sheltered!

Friday, June 02, 2006

Day 4...FYI National Hunger Awareness Day is June 6th
I arrived to class early today with butterflies in my stomach. I was looking forward to our trip to the Food Bank. We were warned yesterday to wear comfortable shoes and jeans some lifting would be involved. Nothing too heavy. When everyone arrived in class, with the exception of Melissa, Karen gave us the run down of what to expect. We are required to turn in a field trip release form as per District. I don't get it though, I signed my own permission slip? Whatever happened to getting your mom to sign it for you at the last minute? Anyhow, we finally made way to the parking lot and I immediatly spotted the big, white van. For the most part, we managed to fit comfortably. Melissa was unable to join us, her son had a karate tournament. Hay Ya! We looked kind of funny all bunched up in the van. All we needed were a few instruments and we could have had a band on tour. I have to give Denise credit for hauling us around. She is a good driver.
Well we made it to the Food Bank, it was good to get out of the classroom for a while. The Food Bank is located on 4311 Director at Grubb and have been serving Southwest Texas for years. It is off WW White, not too far. Blake Bishop was our host for the day. He is the Volunteer Coordinator and he loves his job. As soon as I met him, he was full of positive energy and gave us a friendly welcome. Blake was an elementary school teacher and had an art background. He moved from Knoxville, Tennessee and had done some volunteer work for the Food Bank. After that he loved helping people so he stayed ever since. " I realized I was a very lucky person." (Blake Bishop, June 2, 2006) He went over some information with us about the Food Bank's services. They are a 501c organization and they spend only 2 cents of every dollar donated. Only 2 cents! Compare that to typical 15 cents. Amazing! I was surprised to hear that one in every four children go the bed hungry. (National Hungry Study Census Material) Last year the Food Bank help feed about 25,000 people per week. The Food Bank has a shed in Pearsall to help store food and produce.
There are several programs that help feed adults and children across the city.
* Fresh Produce Program
* Kids Cafe
Helps feed children healthy meals and seek refuge. They usually stay open till 8:00 p.m. or until parents get home which can vary at times.
* Community Kitchen
There is an executive chef that works with underemployement that teaches proper food preparation. It is a 6-11 week program. They even cater and feed the Battered Women's Shelter.
* HOPE Program for the elderly.
* Food Fair every Friday in 16 county areas.
The Food Bank works with various agencies to help get food out. Trucks pull up and people go to the truck.
* Food Stamp Outreach
On an average there are 300 applications for food stamps. They are long, in depth, intrusive applications so there is staff available for assistance. The Food Bank even takes walk-ins.
* Nutrition Outreach
They inform the public by going to schools, CPS, and outreach to the community about good eating habits.
San Antonio has a problem with obesity so it is important to promote healthy food.
* Second Serving Program
This program works with restaurants that donate food not served that day. Restaurants like Marrioot, USAA, Long John's, and Church's are only a few that participate. Right now there are 3 drivers and 30 drivers are needed.
The Food Bank gets their funds from various places. United Way and major cooperatioins help along with grants. There is a grant writer on staff.
A new building for the Food Bank is expected to open in January 2007. It will be user friendly and will provide a full catering program. We got a chance to catch a glimpse of one of the chefs, Chef Mario. He is the executive chef. The money from catering goes back to the Food Bank.
The people working at the Food Bank are dedicated and don't work there to get rich. They go into this with a heart! The Food Bank is effecient with their work. The have pride, make the effort, and are determined to get the job done.
In order to be effecient they always enforce safety. There are inmates from Dominguez State Prison at the Food Bank. They work there under intense supervision and are able to get a second chance. Maybe they can gain something positive from working there. Blake praised them for helping us move some pallets. They were very helpful. To me they are regular people who made some bad choices in their life but I think by them working at the Food Bank they will become productive citizens. We worked close by them filling boxs and sorting through food. The Food Bank has an Inmate Program that gives them a second chance. It provides a labor force and gives them the opportunity to gain dignity and markable skills. It is 6 months long and there are 24 men enrolled in the beginning but in end only 18-20 complete the program.
It felt good, all of us were working together to help others. I noticed on the back wall it was covered from top to bottom with names and signatures from random people that gave a helping hand. By the end of the afternoon I had earned my spot on the wall. I was proud of myself and it felt good knowing that I packed a box of food for a family. One less child going to bed hungry. While we were leaving I was talking to Karen about how my attitude changed. I now realize that some people really do need help and they can't help themselves. They really don't have a choice and everyones situation is different. I always thought, "hey if I can get a job and work hard, why can't they?" I never really felt much sympathy towards others needs but after hearing what Blake had to say and reading the handouts Karen gave us. I began seeing the bigger picture. I was touched by the whole experience and I am glad I was able to participate. I could not stop thinking about it for the rest of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home