Mel's Oaxaca Service-Learning Blog

I am totally looking forward to this trip. I have never been on a plane and this will be my first time out of the state. Geez! Talk about being sheltered!

Friday, June 09, 2006


Where did they come from? Where are they now? Where are they going next? I wanted to know their story. What or who made them get to where they are at in their life? It was an emotional day for me today and it was pretty hard to hold back my tears while serving food. I had the opportunity to volunteer at the Society of St. VIncent De Paul. It was an experience I will never forget. St. Vincent is located on W. Commerce close to where some may consider home, "The Bridge". We met Sylvia and Angelica. They were our hosts for the day. Both ladies dedicate much of their time and hard work at St. Vincent.
When we arrived the cafeteria was quiet and empty. Sylvia and Angelica put us to work fast. We all spread out and began doing our share to prepare lunch. The menu consisted of meat and potatoes along with a roll, dessert and drink.

In the process of preparing the meal I had no clue what to expect once people start arriving. Then Frank (a volunteer) opened the door. One by one hungry people walked in and grabbed a tray ready to eat a hot meal. My heart just sank. How can there be so many less fortunate people? People that go without everyday. I mean don't get me wrong I always knew there were homeless people out there but seeing them and looking into their eyes. I felt so bad for them. Some of them I just wanted to hug because I could see their pain. I saw women and men of all ages and even a few teenagers. Many of them were very polite and said, thank you and please. I have to admit I did get in trouble by the staff a few times for bending the rules. But I couldn't say no to them. That was probably the first good hot meal that person has had in days, I couldn't refuse.
As the line was coming in faster and the room was filling up I noticed a familiar face in the line. It was a lady I had worked years ago. She recognized and called me out from across the room. I was surprised she remembered me! When I worked with her I would try to help her out when I could. We had a chance to catch up real quick and she told me that she remembered that I was always nice to her and never made her feel bad. She had always had a few troubles here and there but hey everyone is different. After she tells me that my heart sank deeper. I really wanted to cry. I mean what are the odds that I would run into this person, I hadn't seen her in over five years. This was crazy! Talk about ironic out of all places and out of all people. After she ate her lunch I gave her a hug and told her to be safe. She looks at me and says, "Mel you'll always be cool in my book." Call me cheesy, but I thought that was pretty neat.
(that's my friend Pam)
Well as the lunch crowd began dying down, we began cleaning up. It is a lot of hard work to do what Slvia and Angelica do. Some of us cleaned off counters and tables while others washed dishes. My feet were killing me! Ugh!

As we were leaving the center I was talking to Karen. I told her out of all the field trips we had gone to, this one imparticular had an enormous impact. It was hard for me to hold my tears back while talking to her. The fact that we (the class) actually got to see them face to face made it a more touching experience. Everytime I go to work and pass "The Bridge" I will never look at that place the same again. Knowing that I helped one of those people down there. I feel blessed and grateful for what I have and hope that maybe someday they too find peace in their lives. I know now that things could always be worst!
Later on that day I could not stop thinking about my trip to the center. I couldn't stop talking about it. I just wish there was more I could do for them. It is sad because some of them want help and want to become a part of our society but we as a society don't allow them to. We reject them because of how they look or how they talk. Sometimes I think it is our fault because they try and we deny them. It is like that old saying, Don't judge a book by it's cover.
I know that I will go back and volunteer at the Society of St. Vincent De Paul. I enjoyed this experience and I want to thank Karen and Denise for allowing us to see how the "other side" lives.

Poverty is not only in other countries, it is in our own backyard and we should help our people get back on their feet. Here we are in the United States of America helping children in Africa and Iran but we can't even help out our own less fortunate here in our own country. I don't get it! Why?
I also want to add that the center is in need of clothes and food. Sylvia told us some men needed shoes. They don't have to be brand new. Some common sizes are 9-11. Please go through your closets and gather up what doesn't fit or anything else you would like to donate. Don't hang on to that shirt you swear you will fit into soon, because we all know that never happens. I know I am guilty of that! I noticed the center also needs kitchen supplies. They serve about 200 people a day and right now Sylvia and Angelica work with what they have. Cleansers, knives, cooking utensils and even dish towels would help out a lot.
I couldn't help to notice that they had a bookshelf but there were no books. Hmmm! Maybe some books would be nice to fill up that shelf. Or even some board games. I know I am going to go through some things around my house and donate to them. If you are willing on donating any items please make sure you give it directly to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, that way the items go directly to the people who stay there. Society of St. Vincent de Paul is on W. Commerce St. ask for Sylvia if you have questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home